Friday, January 21, 2011

No Good Pictures but No Bad News Either

It took a few days to visit all the greens but I finally managed to get to each green and dig down to all surfaces. The level of snow varies from 19 inches down to 11 inches with a majority of the greens on the back having the most snow. All surfaces are thawed and only one, 12 green, has a very small ice layer on the back tier. When I'm checking for ice I generally have a good idea where to go on each green based on past ice events, shading from trees, and my "spidey sense". It would be pretty bold to say everything is rosy but based on observations from the chronic problem spots it seems that there was no real negative impact (i.e. ice formation) on the green surfaces from the past weeks warm weather. At present, we have a 2 to 3 inch hard crust over a loose corn snow done to a buttery soft green surface. What now? For selfish reasons I would like another series large of dumps until mid-March and then it can stop. However, if no more real snow comes I'm optimistic that we have enough protection until spring.