Thursday, August 2, 2012

Modified Work Bee

Earlier this month I was asked about having another work bee like we did at the start of the year and my first reaction was no.  Mostly because all we are doing now is routine and I have trained staff to operate all the equipment needed.  I ruminated on the idea for a bit mostly because of my initial reaction which was to shoot the idea down with no debate.  There actually are many things people can do daily that contribute greatly to course conditioning.  You may suspect that I am going to go off on repairing ball marks, replacing divots, and raking bunkers (the 3 R's)  but that would be a pretty pat "golf course superintendent response" to an offer of help.  I keep forgetting that this is your course and some of the more motivated KGC members want to contribute over and above just paying yearly dues. 
I'll bet most everybody has heard of an "Adopt a Hole" program other golf courses run so members can participate in the course maintenance.  Nice idea and probably works but I bet it also requires a bit of "administration" on behalf of the superintendent.  If you attended this springs work bee and heard me give directions you'll know I can be a little controlling and, perhaps particular as to how I like things to work.  As wonderful as it is for members to take ownership of the golf course I suspect that the level of "micro-ownership" that may develop with an adopt a hole program by with some people may lead to awkward situations between members and with me. 
I've never done such a program so I may be completely out to lunch.  However, it is tough to disregard the power of numbers when you think back to the success of this springs work bee.  So I want to try a modification on the adopt a hole program.  Lets call it "The Hole of Week".  Participation is optional and no one will be keeping attendance.  Its not a competition, and no one person or group will receive recognition.  You will be helping out as best you are able and as much as you want.  Since we will only be working on a single hole per week everyone should see immediate results versus a more diffuse impact if we spread the work across the whole property.  I'll warn you now none of the things I'm proposing are very sexy but I think the general maintenance will be augmented by your attention to detail which I don't have the staff to do.
We will start after the Club Championship once I've picked a hole and got some pictures....still haven't found my camera so I may have to come up with a plan B.