Monday, October 15, 2012

Week of October 14th Update

We've been the usual "fall busy" since the last post with continued fairway aeration, irrigation winterization, and fungicide applications.  I've pretty much cover all these subjects in previous posts (irrigation winterization, fairway aeration, fungicide applications) in the past and, except for particular references to conditions at the time of the post, they contain relevant information so take a look if you're so inclined.

All the staff is finished for the year so it will be up to myself and the mechanic to get the course to bed on top of all our particular tasks we need to complete each fall.  Should be interesting.

The rain is pretty nice since some of the greens were starting to show moisture stress and I was thinking I would have to break out the water tank.  The prairie kid in me always wants to make sure the turf has plenty of water since exposed turf (especially with frozen ground) is prone to damage from desiccation (basically the drying or dehydration of tissue) but overtime I realize the the fall season in the Kootenays tend to be wet so I've tried to break the habit.  With this years late season irrigation troubles and the dry fall I was starting to panic but it seems to be working out.

Not much to discuss otherwise but I'll try to keep you update on things, especially if something unique pops up.