Friday, November 2, 2012

Finally, A Solution For Our Greens....

The past 10 days have been sort of a waiting game since I've needed the snow to melt so I can finish spraying fairways.  We've managed to keep ourselves busy with reel grinding, fencing, clean-up and record keeping. 

I again came across an article that is worth reading (go here).  It seems I am always having to explain why our greens are what they are.  The solution for our greens is in this article.  The one page article makes a case for regrassing Poa annua greens (our greens) to a newer cultivar of bentgrass.  The first half relays the exact same information I always babble on about but never really seems to be absorbed by the "better golfers". 

Unfortunately, aside from our "no money" situation, a regrassing project at KGC would be a tough go.  At the very least none, not one, of our greens is built to the famed USGA specifications regarding root zone and drainage which were created to aid in the successful establishment and maintenance of bentgrass greens (that statement makes a fairly bold implication because more than a few greens in the world have been built without completely following USGA specs, but it would tough to argue against the benefits of growing grass on USGA root zone versus a bastardized version of the specs). 

I've kinda ignored the topic of poa versus bentgrass since I thought the information was mostly covered but it seems that this is a topic that needs constant attention (I have recently acquired a ton of respect for school teachers.  To maintain motivation teaching the same curriculum each year is an amazing skill.  At least with teachers they have new group of kids every year.  In my situation, it seems to be the same topic to same kids over and over and over again.)  I will keep up with this topic and hopefully the word will get out there and players can appreciate each golf course for what it can offer and worry less about comparisons.....what a dreamer.