Thursday, December 18, 2014

Freaky Friday Follow Up

With first day of winter just around the corner I thought I'd give a brief update of how we made out after last week.  Right now, I am glad I didn't panic and attempt to remove any more snow than what I did.  With respect to #9 and new putting green things did not change which may mean problems in the spring but I suspect we may not have too much to worry about on #9...just a hunch (or hope?).  The rest of the greens I that I've looked at appear like this:
#2 Green Surface
If you remember the last post I said things were developing a more solid surface layer.  Now?  There is no layer like I was seeing last week.  Not sure why but I'll take it.  There is just over 3" of snow which has similar properties to styrofoam (dry, hard, strong).  Unlike styfroam, I don't think there is much insulation in this cover so temperature swings may have an impact.  Because the turf is dormant I don't think cold will negatively impact us but mild above zero temperatures (especially overnight) and rain may cause problems unless we get a good fluffy snow cover within the next little while.

Despite the fact that we're entering a slow time work/golf wise I will keep an eye on things and provide updates so check back often.