Thursday, December 4, 2014

Year in Review.....Number Wise, Part 1

Last year at this time I attempted to explain the time and money each job takes (go HERE) and tried to highlight supposed trends in the maintenance at KGC.  I used that information this past season and with some reading on Twitter and various other sources I tried to implement ways to be more efficient.  The one caveat about this years information is that 2014 was not the best year when it comes to demonstrating staff hours worked this season.  Early season staff changes caused me to veer from my original compulsive, controlling, and over-thought plan but I'll still explain it and then "pontificate" about what I've been able to interpret from the numbers.

As it stands, we are pretty tight staff wise already so what I felt I needed to do was plan each day from opening to closing so I could staff as efficiently as possible .  Generally, it's the SSDD when it comes to the routine maintenance at KGC so I felt I could plan a week out it would be fairly representative of the season in a very general sense.

Schedule for a "Monday"
This was only the first part.  Last winter there was a fair amount of talk amongst turf geeks about something called a "digital job board".  Basically, a digital job board posts staffs daily routines on a template that was stored in the "cloud".  This allowed for viewing jobs anytime and anywhere as well as on the fly changes from a smart phone out on the course.  It was suppose make me more efficient but I didn't take full advantage since my phone lacked a data plan; however, it did make me plan better. For my job board I basically stole the format from the superintendent at Pender Harbour golf course on the coast.  I think it was a Twitter discussion about job boards in which he and allowed anyone to view his job board so I basically copied the look and added some personal touches.
The View as You Enter Lunchroom
Close up of Donated 40" L.E.D T.V.
Now instead of trying to interpret my chicken scratches on the white board staff could easily read what the days plan was.  There was glitches and there is lots of fine tuning to do but I'm fairly confident in saying it has become a useful and appreciated method of communication.

Enough background.   How did all this planning and scheduling affect the operation of my department?  As already mentioned, the whole process made me a better organizer.  It also reaffirmed my assumption that there are very few areas we can cut back on.  Laying out a typical weeks worth of week ahead of time demonstrated to me just how much we are unable to do.  There was more than a few mornings when either a unplanned absence of a staff member or some other event resulted in me having to shuffle a typical daily task or completely eliminate that task.  I had an idea that there were potential cost saving in a few of the daily routine tasks (mowing greens, tee, fairways, roughs, bunkers, daily set-up, rolling greens) associated with maintaining the course.  I thought we could do better (budget wise) when it came to mowing tee's and collars, mowing rough, and mowing fairways.  Maybe we could save money on fuel and labour if we tried a few different things.

To be continued.......