Monday, December 1, 2014

Winter Update.....

Those 25 degree temperature swings in less than 12 hours are tough to handle.  It's back into the deep freeze with overnight lows below -21 Celcius.  Although we did not receive much rain, the above freezing temperatures had a significant impact on snow level and moisture.  The best way to describe the snow was "creamy"...or really wet "mash potato" snow over a very thin "corny" ice.
3 Green


By Friday night it was still rainy but ultimately we got the dump and temperature drop the forecast called for.  I checked conditions late Saturday and there was actually standing water and slush under the snow despite the cold temperatures.  I knew I had to wait to get an honest feel for conditions so I didn't check until today (Monday).  So far this is what I've come across:

3 Green, again
 We have close to 4" fluff over 2" of frozen "mash potato" on top of close to 1/2 corn ice.  Some other greens have similar but the surface ice has a bit more substance but still somewhat removable and not the dreaded clear ice.  I still have to go to all greens to get an idea of what's out there.  I am sure 15 will be covered with ice, hence the tarp.

Not an ideal situation but not exactly uncommon either.  I'll keep monitoring to see if anywhere develops more severe ice but as it stands now the turf is at it peak strength dormancy wise so I am comfortable with leaving things as is.  As usual, it's later on in the season when the problems can really develop so stay tuned.